- High-Strength Steel - High-strength steels are used throughout the assembly of the PHIL Autogate Tailgate.
- Variable Width - Three-piece Autogate Tailgate construction provides for body width compensation on both new and used bodies.
- Gate Pivot and Pivot Bearing - Unique, simplified pivot arrangement makes for easier installation and its high-strength construction assures you of long performance life.
- Chain - Employs an exclusive PHIL steel alloy chain stronger than any available standard chain.
PHIL's Autogate® Tailgate works with your off-highway truck insuring full truck utilization. The Autogate Tailgate allows an increased yet balanced load and effectively contains most any material no matter what the incline or road condition. Operation is simple and trouble free. No locks, cylinders or controls to malfunction. Body dumps. The Autogate Tailgate opens.
Installation of the PHIL Autogate Tailgate can be handled in one of three ways:
- Tailgate to Body Installation at PHIL factory in Peoria, IL
- Field Installation with PHIL Supervisory Assistance
- Self Installation by customer
For installations taking place away from the PHIL factory, the following items are needed:
- Two (2) qualified welders
- One (1) helper to assist with the installation
- 4 or 5 chains at least 10 ft long (10 to 20 ft preferred)
- Lifting device capable of lifting 2 tons
- Two, one (1) ton or larger come-alongs
- Safe ladders or scaffolding
- Two (2) hand winches (1 ton or larger)
- A loader or crane with operator for intermittent use (in assembling gate and lifting it into position on truck)
- Misc. hand tools and blocking
- Dry, low hydrogen E70XX iron powder coated welding rods (or comparable wire)
- Material as indicated on installation drawings for the fabrication of a basic installation tool (provided with installation manual prior to shipment of Autogate Tailgate)
- Touch-up paint as needed
Approximate Installation Time:
|Articulated Tailgate:||35 - 50 man hours +/-|
|Series II / Max Load Tailgate:||40 - 55 man hours +/-|
|Standard Rigid-Frame Tailgate:||45 - 60 man hours +/-|
|Outriggerless Tailgate:||45 - 60 man hours +/-|
|Ultra-High Tailgate:||45 - 60 man hours +/-|
The time required to install an Autogate Tailgate will be directly related to organization, the number and skill set of people involved, and familiarity with tailgate installations. As with any product, if someone on the installation team has installed a tailgate before, the installation often goes more smoothly and quickly than when a team that has not installed a tailgate before is assigned the task. For this reason, Philippi-Hagenbuch, Inc. strongly encourages anyone that has not installed a tailgate for several years to accept our Installation Assistance service.